Sunday 26 June 2011

An Extraordinary Gift - and another view from elsewhere....

In our recent wedding speeches, both Wilson and I paid tribute to our friends and families - old and new, professional, and surrogate.  I gave special mention to a group of women I have been lucky enough to call my friends for at least 25 years, and since January, these women have really shown what they are made of.  One of them is Elaine.

Amongst being a mother of two who runs her own Nanny business (http://www.hattiesnannies.co.uk/), and who gives piano lessons, Elaine is herself a classically trained pianist.  She came to see me in April, and gave me the most extraordinary gift. I share it with you with her permission - because she is part of my journey.

And because while I am struggling through the hefty chemo, the generosity of all our families and friends are a reminder that you never know what you might need when that surprise comes around the corner.  (warning: you might blub)


A few words by way of introduction to a song
So, you called in January to deliver a life changing moment which will remain with me for forever: not least because in recollection of how the message was delivered.  Only you could utter devastating words with such eloquence and style and which reflect your inner sparkle. 

As your friend, I feel privileged to know you, and would like you to accept a special gift from me, in part as your wedding present.  As words have become your gift, music is mine, and so my gift to you is through musical composition.

This musical journey of mine began late January as soon as the receiver hit the floor.  The notes just flowed and flowed to my fingertips in some kind way of magical way – as if Darcey had waved a magic wand and sprinkled fairy dust over the keyboard.   The melody was born in a flash, followed in time by the chorus and the dramatic coda.  The lyrics were inspired of course by many of the words in your newly discovered blog, and the frantic exchange of emails between the gang girls, which added another dimension.  And so the song “Tarnished Angel” was born. 

By way of creating the finished article which was singing in my mind, I enlisted the professional help of two very dear friends Claire and Richard; the former whose depth and strength of singing tone was a must, and the latter who is simply gifted in many musical ways.

So, this is my gift to you, thanking you for your precious friendship.  I hope that it captures the moment of time you first wrote about, for you, our Tarnished Angel.

Composed with love.
Elaine


Tarnished Angel
Time is a most precious thing
It is the only thing, that we really own.
Time, it means everything
Find your own eternity and capture the moment

Look at the sunshine
Hear the rain
Look at the world around you
Reach for the rainbow
Jump over the waves
Feel the world around you

She, she’s just an ordinary girl
With an extraordinary tale to tell you
Her journey is one of highs and lows
But always with champagne and laughter
Wherever, wherever she goes

Reach for the rainbow
Jump over the waves
Feel the world around you
Look at the stars
Gaze at the moon
We cherish our Tarnished Angel

Remember the journey of life we have made
The times we have all spent together
The memories that we treasure, the moments we’ve had
The friendships that have strengthened over time

For she is our perfect tarnished angel
She’s just no ordinary girl

Ah for she is our perfect tarnished angel
She’s just no ordinary girl

For she is our perfect angel
Our tarnished angel

No comments:

Post a Comment